[K12OSN] Re: Copying Files

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Fri Jun 23 16:26:36 UTC 2006

> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 18:30, Mark Cockrell wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>     I have what I hope will be an easy question for the more
>>> experienced
>>> among us.  I'm setting up a new server and I want to move the /home
>>> from
>>> the old one to the new one.  What would be the best/easiest way to move
>>> all the files and folders to the new machine while preserving ownership
>>> and permissions?
>>
>> If they are both on the network at once, from the old machine:
>> cd /home
>> rsync -essh -av . newmachine:/home
>>
> The wrinkle is that since he's moving to a new machine, he probably
> doesn't have all the
> user IDs & PWs setup.  If you copy the /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and
> /etc/shadow from the
> old box to the new one, then all the home directories will keep their
> ownership correct.
>  Otherwise, if you create, say, bob on the new machine and it ends up
> with UID 517, but
> it was UID 654 on the old box, /home/bob won't be accessible by bob on
> the new box.
>
> Petre
Not problem there.  Both machines authenticate to a common LDAP server.
Thanks for your help, everyone.  With a little additional help in the
#ltsp chat room on irc.freenode.net to get past some SSH difficulties,
I'm happily rsyncing over 300 GB of user files.

C-ya,
Mark
____
"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions -- it only guarantees equality of opportunity." -- Irving Kristol