Re: [K12OSN] VNC and LTSP terminal client problem

Casey Mynott wrote:

ps. Is their a way to actually remotely connect to the server using VNC so I can log in as root to the server rather than the terminal login that I am getting? Thanks!

If you use SSH to connect to the server, you can create a tunnel for VNC to use to connect to the server, like so:

ssh -L 3700:localhost:5900 server

You'll get a normal ssh session, but while that's running, point your local vncviewer at localhost:3700 and it will be redirected to the server's 5900 port where the xvncserver is listening. TightVNC has this ability built-in I believe, but I tend to use this method because it works no matter what. It's also handy for tunneling other things like doing Webmin management, etc.

Petre