Re: [K12OSN] VNC and LTSP terminal client problem

I'll second that, with one caveat. VNC is better than having to drive to the server, but NX is like being there, real time. The caveat is that I have two systems in different locations, running the same version of K12LTSP, 4.2.2. On one, NX works like a champ; on the other, I cannot get connected. Plus, on the one that works, I've got a buddy who cannot connect it. So, it's great when it works, but it's a bit inconsistent for me so far.

Petre

cliebow midmaine com wrote:
nx has it all over vnc..i used it from France to get a desktop here in Maine
and for the patient it works on a dialup..chuck
Casey Mynott wrote:

ps. Is their a way to actually remotely connect to the server using VNC
so I can log in as root to the server rather than the terminal login
that I am getting? Thanks!

If you use SSH to connect to the server, you can create a tunnel for VNC
to use to
connect to the server, like so:

ssh -L 3700:localhost:5900 server

You'll get a normal ssh session, but while that's running, point your
local vncviewer at
localhost:3700 and it will be redirected to the server's 5900 port where
the xvncserver
is listening.  TightVNC has this ability built-in I believe, but I tend to
use this
method because it works no matter what.  It's also handy for tunneling
other things like
  doing Webmin management, etc.

Petre