Re: [K12OSN] NX works great . . . mostly!

I use some years now FreeNX on FC2, FC3, FC4 servers (FC5 not tried yet) and never had problem. Yes, some servers had problem with install, but then I make those folders myself what install complains about and remove package and install again. But if freenx server already works, only format will stop it. All servers were K12LTSP servers. So its very wierd to hear someone have problem. Ports, I use remotely is something like 50015 outside and firewall routes it then to 192.168.0.15 port 22 and so on. And always I use keys. No problems!!!

I say it again - FreeNX works very well. Always. No problems. I have 7 icons to remote FreeNX servers to 5 different companies and schools and no problems so far.

Olle Niit

Dr. Daniel Loomis wrote:

Peter Sheie was spot in when he wrote that NX is so much better than VNC . . . when it works. Even over a wireless connection with my laptop the screen response is comparable to being on a local console. I have successfully connected to an ltsp server running Fedora 5 and a PCLinuxOS 0.93 workstation. I even had a good NX connection to a FreeBSD 6.1 box before it mysteriously quit working and now refuses to reconnect. Getting NX to work seems a mostly hit or miss proposition.

I am using Rick Stout's patched versions of freenx and nx for Fedora, available at:

          http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/

Getting the ssh validation with public/private keys is relatively straightforward. But another ltsp server running Fedora 3, I get only timeouts no matter how I tweek it. Validation completes, but it never negotiates a link. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, but to no avail.

Anyone else having this kind of problem? Moreover, anyone have a clue as to what I should try next?

Dan