[K12OSN] Securing a K12LTSP box

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Jun 5 13:47:17 UTC 2006

I think a key piece, at least in terms of protecting the server from bad guys on the
internet, is that you have a firewall--that is, a separate box--between the LTSP box and
the internet.  With the firewall, you can control what, if any, connections from the
outside world can even get to the LTSP server. You might even consider using two
firewalls to create a DMZ for any boxes that need to be accessible to the outside world.
I suspect that most people don't allow any outside connections, as there isn't really
any need; perhaps an opening for SSH so you can remotely admin, but I suggest doing this
on a different port than 22 (the default) just to add a bit of 'security by obscurity'
and mostly to keep your logs from filling up with failed attempts by script kiddies to
login as Administrator, etc.

Internal security is more a matter of protecting the server from curios/mischievous
kids, which presents some different problems, which I'll leave to others.

Petre