[K12OSN] Macintels and CEU's at NELS! More info...

Hello everyone!

This email is to update everyone on what’s happening at NELS in less than
two weeks!  We have a couple new things to announce…

Wanna’ get your hands on a new MacBook Pro’s (with the Intel processor) or
the 17” iMac (also with the Intel processor)….we’ll have some at the Gould
Academy NELS….and also a whole lab full at the UNH NELS!  Special thanks
go to Daryl Hawes and Apple Computer for donating the use of and letting
us play with their computers!  So…what does this mean?  It means that we
can play and experiment with running Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux all on
the same machine!  Imagine walking into a classroom or office where the
user/student/teacher has a choice of what operating system to work with!
Pretty cool…I can’t wait to play with them myself!

Second…and perhaps more important to some…we are once again offering CEU’s
for attending NELS (Gould Academy).  Details are below

CEUs
Via University of Southern Maine
Course approval pending (but very likely)
2.5 CEUs for the Gould program.
Fee approximately $10

Thanks go out to Jerry Holt and SAD 61 for putting this together again for
us this year.  So…this is a great way for teachers and others who are
looking for some credits to apply toward recertification…etc.  (it’s a
great way to knock off a lot of credits/contact hours and enjoy it at the
same time!)

Many of the things that have been discussed on the various lists I
subscribe to….the conferences I’ve attended and presented at…as well as in
private conversations with many of you….are being covered at NELS.  Simple
servers, DHCP, K12LTSP, DansGuardian internet content filtering,
integration/authentication in a Windows network….and much more!  Wanna’
learn more!  Join us!  For those of you who’ve asked how can you integrate
Linux in a Windows network such as Active Directory?  No problem!  We’ll
not only show you how to do it yourself, but we will also have a couple
sponsors present whose products are essentially “drop-in” solutions for
Linux in a Windows network!

The new Ubuntu Linux and Edubuntu (education version of Ubuntu) have just
been released!  We’ll get a great first-hand look at these at NELS…along
with a chance to meet with some folks who’ve been intimately involved in
development!

We have a lot of returning folks this year, but we also have more new
faces than ever before!  This is shaping up to be a fantastic
conference….we hope you’ll be able to join us!  For more information and
to register…visit [ http://www.nelinux.net ]http://www.nelinux.net

PS…we are now able to accept credit cards to make it easier for you to
register (also easy for those of you using the ACTEM professional
development funds reimbursement route  www.actem.org)….just register
online and then drop me an email and I’ll help you with the payment part.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcsvikings org