[K12OSN] LTSP 4.4.1 client booting fails

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Jun 6 22:50:56 UTC 2006

Hung Phan wrote:
> I'm using K12LTSP 4.4.1 (Fedora Core 4) with Neoware C50 thin client.
> The server obtain IP through DHCP (and it works) and serve out through
> eth2 (because eth0 inboard is dead, it is Intel Pro 100 eepro100 card)
>
> The client cannot boot, it keep running tftp......until it timeout. When
> the client boots, I run tail -f /var/log/messages. It shows the client
> obtain an IP, and eventually timeout with PXE.
>
> Check tftpd, it's running. Check xinetd.d/tftp, nothing changes in the
> file.
>
> When I check the default kernel at /tftpboot/lts/pxe, it doesn't exist.
> Only the kernel with options compiled 2.4.9-1-kitchen-sink

The terminal kernels are in the ltsp_i386-kernel package. You can verify
that this package is installed with this command:

	rpm -q ltsp_i386-kernel

If it is not installed, here is how to do so:

	yum install ltsp_i386-kernel

If it is installed, this command will verify it is installed properly
(it only displays errors, no output means it is ok)

	rpm -V ltsp_i386-kernel

> I know the thin client works because we test it with different server
> before.
>
> Can anyone offers some advices, please?

If you are using a stock K12LTSP installation with two network cards,
eth0 has the IP address 192.168.0.254 to run the terminals and eth1 (or
eth2 in your case) connections to the local area network, then I would
recommend running the configuration script and rebooting:

    /opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/K12Linux-LTSP-initialize

That does not work, or you are running a non-default network
configuration, here is the LTSP trouble-shooting guide:

   http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/ltsp-4.1/ltsp-4.1-en.html#AEN788

-Eric