[K12OSN] yum update broke my 5.0.0

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 7 12:22:22 UTC 2006

Eric,

Thanks so much for the help.  I followed your
instructions and managed to log in, but I still get an
"libpam" error on bootup when the system is
initializing cups.  See below for my comments.

For the record, I think this probably happenned
because yum update got interupted.  I re-ran it
afterwards, but I guess the damage was already done...

> 5) check to see if the pam libraries are there, the
> out put should look
>     exactly like this:
>
>      # ls -l /lib/libpam*
>      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    17 Jun  6 20:46
> /lib/libpamc.so.0 -> libpamc.so.0.81.0*
>      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10052 May 24 06:26
> /lib/libpamc.so.0.81.0*
>      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    21 Jun  6 20:46
> /lib/libpam_misc.so.0 -> libpam_misc.so.0.81.2*
>      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  8952 May 24 06:26
> /lib/libpam_misc.so.0.81.2*
>      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    16 Jun  6 20:46
> /lib/libpam.so.0 -> libpam.so.0.81.3*
>      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 48056 May 24 06:26
> /lib/libpam.so.0.81.3*

After following your instructions, I now have all
these files, but not with the trailing * -- was that
just a typo?

> Finally, once all is working, double-check that the
> RPM database has the
> right information. Run this command:
>
>  	rpm -V pam
>
> It should either run without output, or a single
> line that looks like this:
>
>  	S.5....T. c /etc/pam.d/system-auth
>
> If it says that the package is not installed or
> lists a whole bunch of lines,
> let us know and we'll jump through a few more
> hoops...

It outputed a bunch of lines when I did this.

-Rob