[K12OSN] Moving the /boot partition

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Jun 7 18:58:52 UTC 2006

I am upgrading one of our servers.  I currently am running an internal SATA
RAID 5 with 6 drives.  I have a /boot, /, /home and swap on a single container
all with their own partitions.  Everything except for /boot is managed with
LVM.  I have now purchased a Powervault 220s and have setup two external
containers.  Container 1 consists of 4 300GB SCSI's striped and container 2
consists of 2 36GB SCSI's mirrored.  Container 1 will be /home and container 2
will be /boot, /, and swap all on their own partitions.

I have mounted container 1 as /powervault and issued "rsync -av /home/
/powervault".  I have mounted / as /mirror and issued "rsync -av
--exclude=/home --exclude=/powervault --exclude=/boot / /mirror".  And have
mounted the new boot partion as /mirror/boot and issued "rsync -av /boot/
/mirror/boot".

I have also modified my /mirror/etc/fstab to read as follows:
---------start fstab---------------
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
#/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/sdc3 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
#/dev/sda1  /boot  ext3  suid,dev,exec  0  2
/dev/sdc1  /boot  ext3  suid,dev,exec  0  2
/dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
#/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02  /home  ext3  grpquota,suid,dev,usrquota,exec  0  2
/dev/sdb1  /home  ext3  grpquota,suid,dev,usrquota,exec  0  2
/dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
#/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sdc2 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hda                /media/cdrom            auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
#/dev/sdb1  /powervault  ext3  suid,dev,exec  0  0
#/dev/sdc3  /mirror  ext3  suid,dev,exec  0  0
#/dev/sdc1  /mirror/boot  ext3  suid,dev,exec  0  0
------------end fstab------------

The comments represent what the previous running configuration was, the new
changes for the next reboot are under them.

I have also modified /mirror/boot/grub/grub.conf as follows:
-----------start grub.conf------------
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdc3
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sdc
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.14-1.1637_FC4smp)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4smp ro root=/dev/sdc3 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4smp.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.14-1.1637_FC4)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4 ro root=/dev/sdc3 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4.img
---------------end grub.conf---------------

Everything that refers to /dev/sdc3 referred to /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00.

So when I make the changes to the above files shutdown the machine, take out
the SATA card to remove the old RAID, change the bios to boot first from the
PERC SCSI card that the new PowerVault is on, and set the PERC to boot from
container 2, the machine does not boot.  It gets just past loading all devices
in the bios but does not continue, I receive no errors but the machine just
waits.  I never get to the grub menu.

So my question is, what do I have to do beyond what I have done already?  Do I
need to run a command to write a new boot sector?

Thanks

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
507-453-5188