[K12OSN] K12LTSP rpms for LTSP install

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Jun 7 19:33:59 UTC 2006

Gavin Chester wrote:
> I'm on dialup and downloads are _very_ slow, so I was wondering if I can
> use the k12-modified rpms of LTSP (supplied with v. 4.4.1 K12) to
> install LTSP on SuSE, as if I had the LTSP packages newly downloaded?  I
> have just got hold of a copy of SuSE 10.1 and was wanting to play with
> installing LTSP on top of it.  Yes, I am asking on the right list, I
> hope ;-).
>
> Gavin.

Someone (Mike Ely?) on this list was working on porting over the K12LTSP
packages to SuSE and a while back we had a private discussion about the
details. I can't for the life of me find it in my email ;-)

If I remember correctly, at least the core ltsp packages are likely to
install without a problem (ltsp_i386, ltsp_i386-kernel) although you may
have to use "--nodeps" with rpm. From there you should be able to use
the ltsp utilities to finish off the configuration.

Since it sounds like you will be using a test server (i.e. one you are
not worried about having to re-install), why not just give it try?

-Eric