Re: [K12OSN] file permissions for different groups?

Les Mikesell wrote:

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 15:52 -0400, cliebow midmaine com wrote:
look into chmod g+s to froce file ownership to that group owning the
directory..chuck

In case that's not clear - first chgrp the directory to the
right group ownership, then chmod g+s the directory to make
the files added inherit the group ownership.  RH/fedora based
systems already have a default umask of 0022 which makes the
file permissions work for this.

I am having problems with umask. I want permission automatically set for group write access, read only access for others. So I changed to root and did #umask 0002 When I login as another user and try to create a directory it denies me. When i do umask for that user it tells me 0022. I thought that changing umask while in a directory changes the umask for the directory, or is it a per user setting. If so, how do I change all users umask to 0002? Or do I have to specify which directory to set the umask for?

--
Please note my new email address:-
krsnendu108 gmail com