[K12OSN] file permissions for different groups?

Krsnendu Dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 19:11:12 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 15:52 -0400, cliebow at midmaine.com wrote:
>

>>look into chmod g+s to froce file ownership to that group owning the
>>directory..chuck
>>

>In case that's not clear - first chgrp the directory to the
>right group ownership, then chmod g+s the directory to make
>the files added inherit the group ownership.  RH/fedora based
>systems already have a default umask of 0022 which makes the
>file permissions work for this.

I am having problems with umask. I want permission automatically set for
group write access, read only access for others. So I changed to root
and did
#umask 0002
When I login as another user and try to create a directory it denies me.
When i do umask for that user it tells me 0022.
I thought that changing umask while in a directory changes the umask for
the directory, or is it a per user setting. If so, how do I change all
users umask to 0002? Or do I have to specify which directory to set the
umask for?

--
Please note my new email address:-
krsnendu108 at gmail.com