[K12OSN] file permissions for different groups?

Krsnendu Dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 19:37:42 UTC 2006

I am not sure if I understand.
0022 makes read/write access for owner and read only access for the group..
right?
0002 adds write access for the group..right?

So the logic of having my own group is so noone has access to my files until
I specifically change groups or add someone to my group. But then they still
only have readonly access why not read/write access?

I basically want my staff to be able to upload files which can automatically
be read and written to by the group specified by the setgid of the
directory.
If users want to change the permissions they can do so manually. But by
default it should be read/write accessible by group members.

To do this should I edit /etc/bashrc?

If I change /etc/bachrc will that change to umask for all users? If so what
is the value of umask on the command line? It seems to reset when you log
out?

On 12/06/06, Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 14:11, Krsnendu Dasa wrote:
> > >
> > >In case that's not clear - first chgrp the directory to the
> > >right group ownership, then chmod g+s the directory to make
> > >the files added inherit the group ownership.  RH/fedora based
> > >systems already have a default umask of 0022 which makes the
> > >file permissions work for this.
> > >

> > I am having problems with umask. I want permission automatically set for
> > group write access, read only access for others. So I changed to root
> > and did
> > #umask 0002
> > When I login as another user and try to create a directory it denies me.
> > When i do umask for that user it tells me 0022.
> > I thought that changing umask while in a directory changes the umask for
> > the directory, or is it a per user setting. If so, how do I change all
> > users umask to 0002? Or do I have to specify which directory to set the
> > umask for?
>
> Before you do this, make sure you understand the reasoning
> for setting it to 0022 in RH/fedora which is that by creating
> a group for every user, you do not automatically have any
> additional privileges permitted.  That is, there are no
> members but yourself in your default group.  Now, if you ever
> want to permit shared access somewhere, all you have to do is
> create groups with appropriate members or add members to your
> own group.  If you did not already have group access arranged
> it is much more difficult to add it later.
>
> Now if you still want to make the change, it is set for most
> things in /etc/bashrc.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com