Re: [K12OSN] file permissions for different groups?

I am not sure if I understand.
0022 makes read/write access for owner and read only access for the group.. right?
0002 adds write access for the group..right?

So the logic of having my own group is so noone has access to my files until I specifically change groups or add someone to my group. But then they still only have readonly access why not read/write access?

I basically want my staff to be able to upload files which can automatically be read and written to by the group specified by the setgid of the directory.
If users want to change the permissions they can do so manually. But by default it should be read/write accessible by group members.

To do this should I edit /etc/bashrc?

If I change /etc/bachrc will that change to umask for all users? If so what is the value of umask on the command line? It seems to reset when you log out?

On 12/06/06, Les Mikesell <les futuresource com> wrote:
On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 14:11, Krsnendu Dasa wrote:

> >In case that's not clear - first chgrp the directory to the
> >right group ownership, then chmod g+s the directory to make
> >the files added inherit the group ownership.  RH/fedora based
> >systems already have a default umask of 0022 which makes the
> >file permissions work for this.
> >

> I am having problems with umask. I want permission automatically set for
> group write access, read only access for others. So I changed to root
> and did
> #umask 0002
> When I login as another user and try to create a directory it denies me.
> When i do umask for that user it tells me 0022.
> I thought that changing umask while in a directory changes the umask for
> the directory, or is it a per user setting. If so, how do I change all
> users umask to 0002? Or do I have to specify which directory to set the
> umask for?

Before you do this, make sure you understand the reasoning
for setting it to 0022 in RH/fedora which is that by creating
a group for every user, you do not automatically have any
additional privileges permitted.  That is, there are no
members but yourself in your default group.  Now, if you ever
want to permit shared access somewhere, all you have to do is
create groups with appropriate members or add members to your
own group.  If you did not already have group access arranged
it is much more difficult to add it later.

Now if you still want to make the change, it is set for most
things in /etc/bashrc.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com