Re: [K12OSN] Shutting clients down: was tight vnc connection to ltsp client refused (111 error)

Could you not set up a cron job which fires off a local program on the terminal?
ssh -l root ${TERMINAL} haltsys

As long as there is appropriate keying, and the keys in use don't have passphrases, it should be no problem.

I keep thinking an automated shutdown with our kiosk terminals would be great. I keep meaning to set up the automatic turning on features, too, but I'm not sure I want to. I'd have to send the wake on lan magic packet, but my terminals (Old Dell's) aren't responding. One day, I will figure it out, but that day is not today.

Angus Carr.

Peter Hartmann wrote:
Wow! How I've been pining for that ability.  To have a cron job
shutting down all terminals at night would be fantastic.  I can't tell
you how many times I've come in on a Saturday to a 100 degree F
computer lab!  Ugly waste!!  Would it be possible to remove the
shutdown function from run_ltspinfod and give it to a seperate command
with higher permissions?

Peter

On 5/30/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
On 5/29/06, Eric Harrison <eharrison mail mesd k12 or us> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2006, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>
> > On 5/29/06, Dan Visentin <visentind hdsb ca> wrote:
> >>
> >> btw... another great feature to add, if you are so inclined, is another > >> button to shutdown all the workstations remotely using /usr/sbin/ltspinfo > >> --host=wsXXX --shutdown (or --reboot). I'm considering modifying the
> >> sourcecode for fun (I know that's dangerous... but what the heck!).
> >> At any rate, I appreciate your looking into these problems created by my
> >> follies!
> >>

> > Thank you Dan !!!!!!!!
> > I always wanted this feature to be in fl_tt. I had actually asked this > > question on the list last year Dec 19th. I got no replies and figured
> > it wasn't possible. Rest assured the next version will have this
> > feature (now that I know it can be done). No more walking around
> > shutting systems off by hand. :)
> > Now if only there was a way to boot them remotely. sigh.
>
> You have to enable an undocumented setting in lts.conf for this to work
> (hint: grep SHUTDOWN /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/*).

yes, I know. I already did it.

> The reason this feature is undocumented and disabled by default is that > there is NO AUTHENTICATION yet. That means your kids can shutdown/reboot
> any terminal they please if they figure this out :-(

What if you change the permission of ltspinfo to 754?