Re: [K12OSN] advice needed: Moving to Open Office

Rob Owens wrote:

One thing that grieves me is that the default font for
OpenOffice in Windows seems to be different than the
default font for OpenOffice in Linux.
The problem is that the MS fonts are proprietary. If you can, set up your windows installation to use an open font as default. I have mine set for Bitstream Vera Sans. The bitstream font set is open and free and I'm pretty sure is in the default installation of most Distros and Windows

This means that
if you switch back and forth between those two
platforms when editing a document, the layout isn't
always the same.  (This is due to the fact that some
fonts fit more letters on a line than others).  I
noticed this when doing resumes and other documents
where I was trying to get the text to fit "just right"
on the page.
I'm sure there are ways around this issue, I just
don't know what they are...

Having said the above, it is a good idea to make sure that your default template in Windows and Linux are the same. You can do this by creating a template using stylist to set fonts, margins, page size and styles headers and footers etc. Save it as an OTT. Go: file>templates>organize... in the Template Management window select a folder in the left hand pane. Then from the "Commands" dropdown select "Import Templates".. The template you have imported will appear in the left hand pane beneath the folder you selected. Select the template, then from the Command Dropdown select "Set as default template".

Copy the template to the OOo templates directory your other OS (Not necessary but I think it's tidy) and repeat the above until lightly browned on both sides

Cheers
Yo

--
"GET LEGAL - GET OPENOFFICE.ORG"
http://why.openoffice.org

Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Office Technologies)
www.theingots.org.nz