[K12OSN] VMWare on K12LTSP?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Jun 15 06:25:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 16:35, James Johnson wrote:
> I am a long time Windows (OOPs, is it ok to use that word here? :) )
> admin that has started a second life as a Linux newbie and I was
> wondering if anyone on this list is running VMWare on K12LTSP. I want
> to virtualize two K12LTSPs on one server so I can run separate
> applications. I realize that I could load a supported OS and VMWare
> then create two virtual servers, each running K12LTSP but I was hoping
> to avoid the sluggish nature of this configuration on used hardware.
> In other words I want to load K12LTSP then load VMWare on that, then
> create a single virtual server and install a second K12LTSP on the
> virtual server. Otherwise, is there a way in K12LTSP to direct clients
> based on mac, or based on what nic in the server the client is on, to
> different applications? We currently use K12LTSP in one application
> and have found it to be stable and well suited to our needs, kudos to
> the developers.
>
> Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Yes, you can run VMWare on k12ltsp, although the FC5 based
versions takes a little tweaking.  It's a reasonable thing
to use for testing incompatible configurations or running
windows and linux on the same box, but seems like overkill
just to run two Linux applications.  Can you explain the
problem you are trying to solve?

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com