Re: [K12OSN] Copying Files

I use tar to compress/uncompress /home folders and subfolders into a tar-file and after uncompressing, all the permissions were kept the same. I use the same method to restore home profile for each user (preconfigured) with the help of post-session script :)

I think it may work with your problem as well but to be safe, uncompress them into a different location and see if it works.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Cockrell" <cockrell honeygroveisd net>
To: <k12osn redhat com>
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 2:30 AM
Subject: [K12OSN] Copying Files

Hello All,
I have what I hope will be an easy question for the more experienced among us. I'm setting up a new server and I want to move the /home from the old one to the new one. What would be the best/easiest way to move all the files and folders to the new machine while preserving ownership and permissions?

--

C-ya,
Mark