[K12OSN] Re: Copying Files

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 18:30, Mark Cockrell wrote:
Hello All,
I have what I hope will be an easy question for the more experienced among us. I'm setting up a new server and I want to move the /home from
the old one to the new one.  What would be the best/easiest way to move
all the files and folders to the new machine while preserving ownership
and permissions?

If they are both on the network at once, from the old machine:
cd /home
rsync -essh -av . newmachine:/home

The wrinkle is that since he's moving to a new machine, he probably doesn't have all the user IDs & PWs setup. If you copy the /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and /etc/shadow from the old box to the new one, then all the home directories will keep their ownership correct. Otherwise, if you create, say, bob on the new machine and it ends up with UID 517, but it was UID 654 on the old box, /home/bob won't be accessible by bob on the new box.

Petre
Not problem there. Both machines authenticate to a common LDAP server. Thanks for your help, everyone. With a little additional help in the #ltsp chat room on irc.freenode.net to get past some SSH difficulties, I'm happily rsyncing over 300 GB of user files.

C-ya,
Mark
____
"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions -- it only guarantees equality of opportunity." -- Irving Kristol