Re: [K12OSN] Booting a Client

Forgot to include my footnote about /etc/dhcpd.conf. In version 5 it has a slightly different name, dhcpd-k12ltsp.conf.

Petre Scheie wrote:
mvl 1 newulmtel net wrote:
Sorry if this is a duplication - not sure if it was sent.

I have a new installation of K12LTSP. Some clients boot normally; One set
of identical machines (about 20) terminate the boot with "Fatal server
error: no screens found."

What version of K12LTSP are you running? The 4.4.1 or the 5.0 (beta)? Look in /etc/k12ltsp-release if you're not sure.

Just guessing here, but it sounds like it's not able to properly detect the video card/chipset in those clients. Get the MAC address of one of the clients in question, add it to the /etc/dhcpd.conf* file like so:

host problem {
    hardware ethernet     00:90:27:b6:b9:15;
}

but use the MAC address of the client instead of the number I used. If you look toward the bottom of the file, you'll see other examples. What you're doing here is just assigning a name to the client so it's easier to configure what X server it loads. After you've made the above change, restart the DHCP server ('service dhcpd restart'). Then add this to the /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf file:

[problem]
    XSERVER = vesa

Add this to the bottom of the file; there are other examples there, too. After that, reboot your client and see what you get. What you've done is told the system that the client with MAC address 00:90:27:b6:b9:15 and known by the name 'problem' should have the vesa X server loaded, rather than trying to auto configure it. HTH

Petre