[K12OSN] Edubuntu - K12LTSP

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 16:51:06 UTC 2006

On 6/25/06, Andy Rabagliati <andyr at wizzy.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Edward Holcroft wrote:
>
> > Jim wrote:
> >
> > >The Ubuntu developers are definately coming up to speed quickly on
> > >how thin client support should be integrated into a distro, and from
> > >what we saw this week at the Ubuntu developer summit in Paris, the
> > >next release of Ubuntu (Edgy) which is due out in late october, looks
> > >to be the one we've all been waiting for, in terms of thin client
> > >support from a mainstream linux vendor.
> > >

> > Assuming that the next release of Edubuntu actually runs practically
> > any client you throw at it, like K12LTSP does, what will be the
> > compelling reasons going for switching from a perfectly working
> > K12LTSP solution to Edubuntu.
>
> Horses for courses, I am sure.
>
> K12LTSP is redhattish, Edubuntu is Debianish.
>
> But I think the main advantage is being able to use apt in the Thin
> Client environment. If you never mess with the client environment
> (I don't) then it probably makes little difference.

Actually there is another difference. K12ltsp uses X to connect to the
clients whereas Edubuntu (Muekow ltsp), I think, uses ssh to tunnel X
to the clients. This is definitely a more secure way of using thin
clients especially if students are going to be doing stuff like online
banking and why I never type my root password into a client. However,
there is a price for this: min. system requirments for the clients
goes up (eg PIII 450 whereas for k12ltsp a P90 is okay) because
everything has to get encrypted and decrypted without a lot of
latency. Same extra overhead of encrypt/decrypt goes for the server
for EVERY client.