[K12OSN] Edubuntu - K12LTSP

Edward Holcroft edward at netday.org.za
Sun Jun 25 18:01:29 UTC 2006

> Actually there is another difference. K12ltsp uses X to connect to the
> clients whereas Edubuntu (Muekow ltsp), I think, uses ssh to tunnel X
> to the clients. This is definitely a more secure way of using thin
> clients especially if students are going to be doing stuff like online
> banking and why I never type my root password into a client. However,
> there is a price for this: min. system requirments for the clients
> goes up (eg PIII 450 whereas for k12ltsp a P90 is okay) because
> everything has to get encrypted and decrypted without a lot of
> latency. Same extra overhead of encrypt/decrypt goes for the server
> for EVERY client.

I never had any idea about such a massive increase in the client
requirements. Thanks for the advice. It'd be troublesome for us here
in South Africa to suddenly have to start looking for PIII thin
clients. Many schools here have bought into the idea of LTSP with the
re-use of P1's as a selling point.

Is K12LTSP also looking at Muekow in the future?

ed

Edward Holcroft
Executive Director: NetDay South Africa