[K12OSN] Edubuntu - K12LTSP

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Sun Jun 25 19:43:16 UTC 2006

On Sun, June 25, 2006 2:01 pm, Edward Holcroft wrote:

>> Actually there is another difference. K12ltsp uses X to connect to the
>> clients whereas Edubuntu (Muekow ltsp), I think, uses ssh to tunnel X
>> to the clients. This is definitely a more secure way of using thin
>> clients especially if students are going to be doing stuff like online
>> banking and why I never type my root password into a client. However,
>> there is a price for this: min. system requirments for the clients
>> goes up (eg PIII 450 whereas for k12ltsp a P90 is okay) because
>> everything has to get encrypted and decrypted without a lot of
>> latency. Same extra overhead of encrypt/decrypt goes for the server
>> for EVERY client.
>
> I never had any idea about such a massive increase in the client
> requirements. Thanks for the advice. It'd be troublesome for us here
> in South Africa to suddenly have to start looking for PIII thin
> clients. Many schools here have bought into the idea of LTSP with the
> re-use of P1's as a selling point.

Ubuntu uses SSH by default for ltsp clients.  BUT, it can be easily
changed to use XDMCP, the same way k12ltsp does.

The Ubuntu developers are VERY aware of the resource issues, and I'm
fairly certain that by the time Edgy is released (late october), the
resources needed for Ubuntu's LTSP will be very similar to that of
K12ltsp.

> Is K12LTSP also looking at Muekow in the future?

Yes, they sure are. lots of activity starting to happen around this issue.
 Should be a VERY interesting summer and fall, in the world of LTSP.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org