[K12OSN] smbldap-installer in FC5 64bit

Ken Arany ken at gccsda.com
Tue Jun 27 16:17:42 UTC 2006

I have been working with Beta10 of 5.0 64bit and everything has been
working until I tried to install smbldap-installer. I know that the
current version of smbldap doesn't claim to install on the new version
yet, but I tried it anyway. The problem I have run into is that openldap
seems to have changed some of their file structure and now slapd.pid
lives in /var/run/openldap/slapd.pid instead of /var/run/slapd.pid. I
can install the smbldap-installer portion and everything still works,
but after I modified the template for slapd.conf to reflect the new
location of the slapd.pid, the smbldap-configure script runs once.
However, when I try to reboot the system, it takes a long time trying to
start "namd" and then again a long time for "System Messagebus" and
thirdly on "ldap". I have tried to follow the script and see what other
things are being changed by the script, but I'm coming up with head
scatchings. Even if I tell ldap not to start at boot up it still takes a
long time (close to 40mins)  Has anyone else had this problem? if so do
you have a solution yet. Is there a new smbldap -installer being worked
on or should i uninstall the current openldap and install an older
version? I have 9 new servers that need to be installed into 9 of my
elementary school, hopefully by the end of the summer. Any help is much
appreciated and thanks in advance.

Ken Arany
Georgia-Cumberland Conference of SDA
IT Services