[K12OSN] Slight OT: Hard vs Soft Raid

I have a moderate load samba server with Dual 600MHz with 2G ram and 3 SCSI Ultra-160 Drives. I have the choice of running Software-Raid at Ultra-160 (160MB/s) speed or running Hardware-Raid using a Perc-2/DC controller at Ultra2 Wide SCSI (80MB/s). I'm aware of some of the dis/advantages of both.

Which is going to give the best performance and any suggestions on how to test this?

--thx
--joe o'brien
Meridian School District
Bellingham WA