[K12OSN] gigabit vs 100Mbit improvement for LTSP

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Mar 2 14:36:09 UTC 2006

While it depends on the apps you're running--tuxtype has been shown to consume about
73Mb of network bandwidth, but I think that's the except rather than the rule--the
consensus is that the ideal configuration would be to have a gigabit card in the server
connected to a gig port in the switch, and have the clients connect at 100Mb which is
plenty for them.  OTOH, I'm a bit surprised to hear of problems with only five or six
terminals, assuming you're using a switch with 100Mb ports.

Petre