[K12OSN] Anyone provide ftp access to students?

John Baillie jbaillie at stmarys-school.org
Fri Mar 3 00:04:44 UTC 2006

Ya know, this is something I have wanted to do for too long now. I never
quite make the time or have found just  the right way to go about it. I
looked real hard at all the php groupware offerings a few times and came
real close to deploying a couple of times but I was never quite
comfortable with the idea.

The last time I was looking into  it someone suggested using squirrel
mail with its file manager plugin.
http://www.squirrelmail.org/plugin_view.php?id=120

One advantage is the interface is somewhat familiar to most users.

Set up a separate squirrel mail server that is self contained (only
allow sending mail with in the local machine) migrate the account names,
use generic password and let the students change it to something other
than their real password.

John