[K12OSN] how to turn off nautilus under IceWM--SOLVED

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Mar 3 17:13:53 UTC 2006

As far as I know, that's the only thing it does.  According to a man page I found on
nautilus -n is the same as  --no-default-window which means " Only create windows for
explicitly specified URIs."  There are other switches too--see
http://linux.com.hk/penguin/man/1/nautilus.html

IceWM calls Nautilus so users can have icons on the desktop. I think Eric is the one who
configures IceWM to do this when he bundles IceWM into K12LTSP; I don't think Fedora
comes with IceWM by default (?).  Some people turn off Nautilus because it's a bit of a
resource hog, and they want the leanest system possible thus choosing IceWM.  I've
looked using some other lighter packages to provide desktop icons for IceWM over the
years, they all seemed to have some quirks that I didn't want to put up with.  And in
the intervening years, hardware has gotten so cheap, at least in the US, that it's
become less and less of an issue.  But IceWM is still on the menu, I have some users who
like it, but the consensus is that the home folder opening upon login is annoying, so I
want to turn that part off, but not lose the desktop icons.

Petre