[K12OSN] Multimedia on Thin Clients

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Mar 8 13:36:08 UTC 2006

On Mar 7, 2006, at 11:56 PM, Carl Keil wrote:
> what k12ltsp version

4.0.1 -- I didn't upgrade last summer.  I took the, "if it works,
don't fix it" approach.  I'll be upgrading this coming summer, but we
have 4.0.1 until then.

> what window manager/desktop environment

IceWM.  I was concerned about server load and network speed.  I have
about 125-150 thin client booting from one server, and I didn't want
to waste bandwidth and CPU cycles on KDE or Gnome.  Plus, IceWM looks
really nice!

> what video player and version

mplayer.  I think a pre-1 version, but I'm not positive.  (I just
checked, it's: MPlayer 1.0pre7-3.3.2)

> what audio settings

esd sound, specified in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf (ao=esd)

> what video settings

in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf (vo=xvidix,xv,x11)

> what format are the videos

Pretty much any format.  I had to download a special "codec set" in
order to play things like Apple Quicktime Trailers.  I think it was
called w32codecs or something.  I downloaded it from the mplayer
website, and had to install it in the /usr/lib/win32.  That location
may be arbitrary, I don't remember.

> any special tricks you did to make it work.

I did have to complile it in order to get esd support.  Also, I
installed (via compile again I think... maybe I got an rpm somewhere)
mplayerplug-in so that embedded video works in firefox.

It's awesome.  Seriously.  With long video clips, the audio can lag a
bit behind the video, but it's possible that could be fixed with
tweaking, I dunno.

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers