[K12OSN] Compaq EVO as thinclient, which sound module?

Trond Mæhlum trond at maehlum.net
Thu Mar 9 18:51:40 UTC 2006

We have Windows lab with HP/Compaq EVO towers. We would like to be able
to boot them as terminals for teaching purposes. The do boot fine, but
we can't get the soundcard to play.

As far as we can see the drivers in use in Win2K is Audiomax and AC97.
We have a lot of other terminals booting with sound. We only load the
module "sb" for a few who terminals. 90% autodetect sound and play.

When booting the HP's we see that the audioserver loads and listens for
connections on port 16001 or something. It also says something about
failing /dev/dsp. Other terminals boot fine with sound from the same
server.

Does anyone know which module to use for onboard soundmax card? We have
tried sb, ac97,ac97_codec and soundcore. None of them did the trick. We
use K12LTSP4.4.0 and esd if that should matter.

Best Regards
Trond Maehlum