SV: [K12OSN] Windows vs. Linux test by Symantec

Audun Wangen Audun.Wangen at kongsvinger.kommune.no
Fri Mar 10 09:37:33 UTC 2006

k12osn-bounces at redhat.com wrote:
> On Thursday 09 Mar 2006 16:50, Huck wrote:
>> I find this methodology odd.
>> #1 why not use an imaging method...plenty of free ones out there if
>> you can't affoard Ghost.
> For the few machines involved, it is not worth the effort of
> preparing a ghost image.  Also, experience has shown ghosting
> cripples the network.

This is what I experienced too. The images are static and will soon
contain outdated drivers and software, and you will use just as long
upgrading as you would installing from scratch. As for other issues I
found that good SID changers are hard to come by. It is also suggested
that you only use imaging on "clean systems", e.g. only OS and drivers.
Frankly I believe unattended installation is a much better approach to
that, and it is much more flexible.

>> #2 why are you connecting it to THE network before it's fully
>> patched/installed, segment a part for installs only?
> I'd like to know how to patch it without connecting to the network.
> The only way I can think of doing it would be via a dial up line,
> which is hardly an option.

WSUS is probably what you are looking for:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateservices/default.mspx

Then you can make a network segment with access only to WSUS. I
recommend it for the performance gain too, because Microsoft's Windows
Update service is really slow.

Sorry, this is getting a little off topic, but i couldn't help myself
:).

--
Regards
Audun Wangen