[K12OSN] Dell 4600 w/8 Gigs Memory - where is it?

Barry Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Fri Mar 10 13:16:16 UTC 2006

Hi Alan,

Without running the 64 bit version of K12LTSP, the maximum, the memory
the OS can "see" is 4 gigs. In others words, your 8 gigs of ram is being
"reduced" to 4 gigs:(.I read this somewere. I didnt know this till
recently.Something worth going to the trouble of,,is setting up to run
local applications,if your clients are any good at all. It WILL make a
difference in offloading some things from server to the clients memory.
Are you using gig backbone to 10/100 MB room switches? Even with 100MB
backbone, you should have very good perfomance, with only 30 clients
with that machine.Unless you are consecutivly running say Tuxtype on
those clients.

Take Care.

Barry CIsna