[K12OSN] Dell 4600 w/8 Gigs Memory - where is it?

Barry R Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Fri Mar 10 21:53:45 UTC 2006

Hello again Alan,

I had to leave earlier when i was posting. Something you could look for,
is when running top look for if any zombie processes,are appearing.
About three years ago i had a server that was always running with the
cpu maxed, but still had lots of spare memory. After lots of wrangling
around i found in the logs ssh was trying to authenticate to this server
from another that i was doing an rsync to-from.Long story short it was
just lots of zombie processes,,, was causing our server this delima. It
only had to have about 2-3 zombie processes, and a noticeable slow down
occured, This was on an old dual processor 350MHZ,server, when i was
first getting into ltsp 3 years ago. Also, trying doing the old reboot
routine, and watch how long a period of time it is before this server
starts really slowing down. you may see in this same time frame zombie
processes occuring. You know the drill it may be even easier to save all
your home folder files for students and give the 1-2 re-install routine.
Maybe even trying going back one FC say from 4 back to 3, or try EL
version of K12LTSP. I haven't really helped much in doing a
troubleshoot, but you know someone else had a similar problem, is all.

Take Care,

Barry Cisna