[K12OSN] NAT not starting on bootup

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Sun Mar 12 00:57:39 UTC 2006

Here's a snippet from /var/log/messages.  Notice on line 11 that it
mentions ip_conntrack, which suggests that the NAT startup script ran as
it should.  There's no further mention of ip_conntrack until the time
that I ran the script again manually about 90 minutes later.  So, it
would seem that something knocked it down.  Since I started it manually,
it's been fine.  This is consistent with what I saw the last time I
booted the machine, that once I run the startup script manually, NAT
stays up.

Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval
5 seconds
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with
ordered data mode.
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: SELinux: initialized (dev sda1, type
ext3), uses xattr
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: SELinux: initialized (dev tmpfs, type
tmpfs), uses transition SIDs
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: Adding 2096472k swap on /dev/sda2.
Priority:-1 extents:1 across:2096472k
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: SELinux: initialized (dev
binfmt_misc, type binfmt_misc), uses genfs_contexts
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter
core team
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: Netfilter messages via NETLINK v0.30.
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: ip_conntrack version 2.4 (8192
buckets, 65536 max) - 232 bytes per conntrack
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: SELinux: initialized (dev rpc_pipefs,
type rpc_pipefs), uses genfs_contexts
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: Bluetooth: Core ver 2.8
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 31
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: Bluetooth: HCI device and connection
manager initialized
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
Mar  9 10:09:07 kelley4gov kernel: Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.8