[K12OSN] Re: eMac video driver question

Joe Guenther jguenther at chinooksedge.ab.ca
Mon Mar 13 20:28:56 UTC 2006

I would also agree.  The eMacs are much to valuable machines to just
have as thin clients. One can use any old clunker for that, but an eMac
is about a 2.4Ghz processor. They make great video editing machines. Let
the students loose on iMovie, iPhoto and iDVD and without much
instruction those kids will produce fantastic stuff - stuff you CANNOT
do on a thin client attached to LTSP.  I would collect any old PII/PIII
or less and connect that to the LTSP, but leave the eMacs as stand alone
workstations configuring them to connect to the Samba file shares on the
LTSP server. They will do that very easily.  When on the desktop hit
Apple-K to connect ... type in the IP address of your file server.  Make
the connection.  Make an alias of the connection it created on the
desktop. Clik on that alias and hit Apple-I (info) lock that alias so it
cannot easily be deleted. Leave it on the desktop for any student to
login and save their work to the server.  Much to simple, much to
elegant, much to powerful to use as a thin client.

greetings
Joe Guenther