[K12OSN] Question on school software..

cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Tue Mar 14 18:17:33 UTC 2006

Hello George,

Ive gotten AR,AM,SR,SM all to run under Wine program.If you're not real
familiar with Linux, Wine is a "Windows Emulator". The downside to this is
learning how to install windows progs via wine. You also have to setup
icons for each user which is a downside if your trying to get this all
setup in a hurry.Its not an instant install in other words, but these
programs will actually function via wine. I'm sure you've run into the
file locking crud and all that ,that goes along with AR and the rest.You
then just direct the program to your data location same as installing on a
winders box.
As RM mentioned from what Ive heard, the way to go is the Renassaince
Place update for all your progs that rolls them all into one database. The
cost is not real great & is based on number of students as well as what
programs you actualy want to use via RP, is how the update pricing works.
We have not done this, and I wish the people in charge here would do this.
I think in the long run you'd find the management with Rennasaince progs
easier once you get familiar with K12LTSP,and the wine program, if you
choose to not go with the RP update/ web browsered route.
Hope this helps.

Barry Cisna