[K12OSN] need bootrom/etherboot for Compaq net1/33s

Timothy Legge tlegge at rogers.com
Thu Mar 16 00:00:21 UTC 2006

john wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for your replies. These machines don't have any PCI slots, and
> I haven't dug up any ISA based 3COMs or the like yet.
>
> Chuck I don't understand the bootrom socket advice can you explain
> that to me a bit.

Hi

The 3c515 is the only ISA based 10/100 card known to work with linux.
The good news is that I wrote the Etherboot driver for it and I also
implemented ISA_PNP to support the cards on old compaq PCs.

Now the bad news.  ISA cards are not really capable of 100 Mbs.  10/100
means that it connects to a 100 Mbs network it is not the throughput.
For various reasons the ISA bus has an upper limit nowhere near 100 Mbs.

However, that being said, the card may allow you to make use of
otherwise useless hardware.  Search ebay for 3c515 and you will find
several available.

Tim