[K12OSN] Server Motherboard Recommendation

Daniel Loomis drloomis at cox-internet.com
Sun Mar 19 14:19:25 UTC 2006

I have been using a Tyan S2460 with dual Athlon-MP 1600s as server for
our computer lab for about 5 years.  Lately, it is begun to overheat and
lock up at random.  It may be time to consider replacement of the
motherboard with a newer model.  I would probably reuse the existing
Antec 1040 server case, perhaps adding a new PS and replacing the old
36gb SCSI HD with a new one. The old PC2100 memory would probably have
to go as well. I already have an Adaptec 29160 SCSI card.

As I ponder such a scenario, looking at the bewildering array of MB
choices available I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.  Should I consider
another dual-cpu MB or can the new dual-core models provide equivalent
capacity for handling multiple clients/processes.  Our lab supports
twelve clients now, but more may be added in the near future.

At present, cpus in the 2.8ghz range seem to be attractively priced
while providing more than adequate processing power.  The architecture
choices all seem to be mostly 64bit now, although the server would most
likely run in 32bit mode for the near future.

I am open to suggestions based on actual, hands-on experience with some
of the newer motherboards currently available. I am not looking for the
latest and greatest . . . just something stable and dependabld with
decent performance running Tuxtype, wordprocessing, gimp and web surfing.

Dan