[K12OSN] Support for a KDE-centric branch?

Paul VanGundy vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us
Sun Mar 19 19:34:44 UTC 2006

Mike,

I personally like Gnome. I started out with KDE but now prefer Gnome. To
each his or her own as they say. However, instead of trying to make a
KDE centric LTSP distro, after you install K12LTSP just set the
DefaultSession to KDE... Second, KDE has a larger footprint then Gnome
traditionally because of the extra eye candy so it will require more
from a sysadmin's server. Users that are limited might not want to go to
KDE. If you're really stretched thin server wise use IceWM (least
favorite for me, but again to each his or her own).

I guess I am saying this, I don't personally see the point in creating
K12LTSP (or a distro like it) that just has KDE on it when after you
install K12LTSP you can just change the DefaultSession to KDE...You know
what I mean? By no means is this meant to discourage you, it's just my
look on the idea. On your side, there is Edubuntu which is just like
K12LTSP but on the Ubuntu distro with the Gnome desktop manager. So why
not a Kedubuntu (example name) that would hold the KDE desktop manager
and serve up LTSP?

-Paul