[K12OSN] configuring user menu's under icewm and gnome

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 01:21:43 UTC 2006

On 21/03/06, john <lists.john at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hopefully an easy question here. I want to give our users just a
> subset of the available applications, and I want to do this with both
> IceWm and Gnome. I downloaded and compiled MenuMaker but it didn't go
> out and create a big list of menu items that I could edit, perhaps I
> didn't understand what it was supposed to do, or perhaps its too old?
>
> 1) where can I edit menu's globally for IceWM. What tool do folks use
> to query the list of available apps and then selectively make them
> available. Easy, fast, simple is the preference.

To find program paths read
$man locate

Use locate in combination with grep to find out the program path and
name. Edit the menu file of IceWM and add lines to it. Usually this is
at  /usr/share/icewm/menu
The syntax of file is failry easy. Any line that is commented out does
not apper in menu. And best of all you do not have to log out and in
again to see the effect of changes

--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux