[K12OSN] Xen

Dan Young dan_young at mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Mar 22 17:10:16 UTC 2006

rmcdaniel at indata.us wrote:
> Has anyone in this group used Xen?  Any problems running multiple OS on
> one server?  It sure seems like a great way to support both Linux and
> Windows environments.  It could provide a way to slowly ween users off
> of Windows.  Seems like something worth trying.

To support OSs not yet ported to Xen (e.g. Windows) requires either
Intel's VT (Vanderpool) or AMD's Pacifica technology. Not too many of
those around right now, but that will change soon. Wikipedia says it's
present in "Pentium 4 6x2, Pentium D 9xx, Xeon 7xxx and Core Duo
processors, though in the latter case it is sometimes disabled in the BIOS."

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep vt

OSs ported to Xen (Linux, NetBSD) can run on existing i386 hardware via
paravirtualization. I've used it briefly on FC5 hosting FC5.

--
Dan Young <dan_young at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services