[K12OSN] Mail data base

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Mar 23 17:18:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:49:41 -0800 (PST), Hoover Chan wrote
> How does Open WebMail compare to Squirrelmail?

I run both.  I have OpenWebMail at a couple sites and Squirrelmail and some
others.  I really like the look of OW (OpenWebMail), very finished and a
little more eye candy.  Also it is a more complete package out of the box.
Now Squirrelmail by default isn't very pretty and doesn't have very many
features.  However it is infinitely configurable and has many,many modules
available.  It also has more options for interfacing with a database backend
and working with virtual domains.  I have also noticed the OW carries more
overhead when processing or checking mail than SM (squirrel mail).  If you
want a very polished out of the box setup with good features and don't need to
handle more than a few hundred clients on a single domain on a single box, I
say openwebmail.  If you want to be able to pick and choose where the eye
candy goes and what features are available while having more features to
choose from, or need to handle multiple domains and thousands of users, and
aren't afraid to dig into many config files to make it work, I say squirrelmail.

I love both, now.  I didn't a year ago.  I used think squirrelmail was like
driving a Yugo.  Now I see that squirrelmail is like looking at a Yugo, but
having enough options available to turn it into a car from "Pimp my Ride".
Openwebmail is like just buying a nice Buick, not as many options, but very
nice and good enough for most.