[K12OSN] Mail data base

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Mar 23 17:25:30 UTC 2006

Looking back I think this topic took three paths:

1. Database backend for tracking parents email addresses (OpenOffice Base etc.)
2. What to use as a mass mailing generator (Mailman etc.)
3. What to use as a webmail client to offer email to parents (Squirrelmail,
Openwebmail etc)

I just wanted to quick clarify that so we didn't loose the original poster
with a bunch of info.  Keep in mind if what you really want to achieve is not
just mass mailing parents from a list of existing addresses, but to actually
provide them email accounts and mass mail those (what is indicated by path
#3), you will also need to setup a email server for your webmail to sit on top
of and still relies on some for of option #2 even if it is just a large alias
group.  This opens up a whole new topic and a plethora of options.  It can
also open you up to a ton more user calls and questions from parents that you
may not be equipped to handle.

I hope that helps straighten this messed up thread out :-)