[K12OSN] sometimes a gray screen with x to rdp

Paul VanGundy vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us
Wed Mar 29 12:53:46 UTC 2006

Barry,

Perhaps XDMCP?

-Paul

--
Paul VanGundy
Information Technology Director
Epping High School
Epping Middle School
P: 603.679.5472
F: 603.679.2966
vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us
Registered Linux User #398783

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf
Of Barry Cisna
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:43 AM
To: K12OSN
Subject: [K12OSN] sometimes a gray screen with x to rdp

Hello List,

Could someone possibly shed some light on how to troubleshoot this scenario.
Sometimes, and it does not happen very often, on one of our K12LTSP servers,
when trying to do the CTL+ALT+F2 at the K12LTSP login to direct to the
Windows terminal server the clients that are connected to this server get
the gray screen with X after getting the "Press enter to login"( to the
windows terminal server). It never does this to the actual K12LTSP server
login. It only happens on this particular server.
A simple reboot of this K12LTSP server fixes the problem, but i was just
trying to pin down what service has actually died, that requires a reboot to
bring it back from the dead. I m guessing its something to do the gdm,or X
(version) maybe? I was wanting to maybe just restart some service without
having to restart the server while other people are logged into K12LTSP.
I have went through the nicely detailed "gray screen with X"
troubleshooter on the LTSP wiki, by Jim M but everything pans out fine with
all the diagnostics that i gathered from that how to.
Any thoughts, ideas?

Barry Cisna