[K12OSN] OT: samba and dhcp write-up

Eric Brown ericbrow at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 15:40:49 UTC 2006

Hello all,
I'm probably going to expose my ignorance here, but I'm hoping for
some feedback as well as possibly sharing some knowledge I've gained.
I have just completed my MS in IT.  For my thesis, I did a write-up of
a project where I had a Linux file server act as a windows domain
controller for a lab of XP machines, with roaming profiles and all.
This was a pretty big project for me as my personal linux gurus had
heard of such a thing being done, but they have never gone about it
themselves.  I also had no personal expirence with configuring Samba
or DHCP.

If you'd like to take a look, the PDF can be found at
http://www.keokukhigh.net/thesis.pdf (about .5 MB)
The more informative stuff is probably in the last half of the paper.

I welcome any questions, comments, and constructive insults.  Off list
would probably be best.

Thanks,
Eric Brown