[K12OSN] setting .doc globally for OO

john lists.john at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 20:57:34 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Here's a follow up to the "set default OO settings for domain users"
issue, in case someone else finds this useful. The only OO file we
needed to change was Setup.xcu.

1) We opened notepad put in the following text and saved it as Setup.xcu

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<oor:component-data xmlns:oor="http://openoffice.org/2001/registry"
xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" oor:name="Setup"
oor:package="org.openoffice">
<node oor:name="L10N">
<prop oor:name="ooLocale" oor:type="xs:string">
<value>cs</value>
</prop>
</node>
<node oor:name="Office">
<prop oor:name="ooSetupInstCompleted" oor:type="xs:boolean">
<value>true</value>
</prop>
<prop oor:name="LicenseAcceptDate" oor:type="xs:string">
<value>2005-10-17T12:36:36</value>
</prop>
<prop oor:name="FirstStartWizardCompleted" oor:type="xs:boolean">
<value>true</value>
</prop>
<node oor:name="Factories">
<node oor:name="com.sun.star.text.TextDocument">
<prop oor:name="ooSetupFactoryWindowAttributes" oor:type="xs:string">
<value>48,67,760,492;4;0,0,0,0;</value>
</prop>
<prop oor:name="ooSetupFactoryDefaultFilter" oor:type="xs:string">
<value>MS Word 97</value>
</prop>
</node>
<node oor:name="com.sun.star.sheet.SpreadsheetDocument">
<prop oor:name="ooSetupFactoryWindowAttributes" oor:type="xs:string">
<value>48,67,760,509;4;0,0,0,0;</value>
</prop>
<prop oor:name="ooSetupFactoryDefaultFilter" oor:type="xs:string">
<value>MS Excel 97</value>
</prop>
</node>
<node oor:name="com.sun.star.presentation.PresentationDocument">
<prop oor:name="ooSetupFactoryDefaultFilter" oor:type="xs:string">
<value>MS PowerPoint 97</value>
</prop>
</node>
</node>
</node>
</oor:component-data>

We got help from http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=9372

2) We made a hidden share on the server with the following path:

\\my_server_name\hide$\OpenOffice.org2\user\registry\data\org\openoffice

3) Then we wrote a login script called OO.bat with this slightly
modified script:

xcopy /E /Y "\\my_server_name\hide$\OpenOffice.org2\* "
"%userprofile%\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\"

(The first version of my script wasn't quite right.)

4) We threw the script into c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu\Programs\Start Up\

When the new user log's on for the first time, they get the right
"Save As" settings under OO and don't have to mess with the Setup
screens.

HTH,

John