[K12OSN] Old server hardware

Burke Almquist balmquist at mindfirestudios.com
Fri Mar 31 12:58:54 UTC 2006

Machines like this (good disk I/O, and RAM, MultiCPUs but not fast)
are great machines to set up as the LDAP/NFS homes server. I'd use a
cheep workstation (dual core AMD for example) and a couple GIGs of
RAM to do the terminal/app serving. That way you only have to buy the
spendy SCSI disks once. Segregate your LTSP traffic from your NFS/
LDAP/internet, traffic and use gigabit connections in as many places
as you can on the backbones. The only link that doesn't really use
gigabit capability is the last leg from the client to the switch.