[K12OSN] Anyone provide ftp access to students?

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 16:58:17 UTC 2006

On 3/2/06, Jack Palmadesso <jack.palmadesso at gmail.com> wrote:
> FTP is a security risk due to the fact that the username and password are
> transmitted in clear text as well as all the data sent.  To avoid this just
> use  SSH.   SSH encrypts everthing.  For windows clients to connect have
> students use WinSCP.  There are also OSX gui clients for SSH transfers as
> well.   SSH is installed by default.  There should be nothing to install or
> configure.  When users log int they will be taken to thier home directory.

Yes I really like WinSCP. However, I'm hesitant to allow ssh access as
this also provides the ability to run programs on the server. Kids
could use Putty or MSYS. I just want to allow students to
download/upload files. I know ftp passwords are not secure but I don't
think this would really be a huge issue. I'm curious if anybody has
done this?

--
Robert Arkiletian