[K12OSN] Anyone provide ftp access to students?

Mike Ely mely at rogueriver.k12.or.us
Thu Mar 2 18:29:40 UTC 2006

Hoover Chan wrote:
> re: using SSH for file transfers
>
> A couple of questions. First, are there any good, hopefully free or Open
> Source, GUI clients for Mac OSX?

Yes, I use one called FuGu, works pretty well:
http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

> Second, in general, what's a good way to set up something like a chroot
> jail for these SSH users? I don't want people to wander around the file
> system.

That's fairly distribution-dependant.  Also, you want to be sure that
you have a clear understanding of what you're going to give people
access to in terms of what's on that server.  Anytime you give shell
access to users, there's the chance of their accounts being misused -
the unix shell is a powerful tool, even in a very limited chroot
environment.  I'd recommend against it.  Nonetheless, if you are set
that this is what you want to do, I'm sure we could help you with more
information - such as which distribution you're using.

Cheers,
Mike