[K12OSN] Anyone provide ftp access to students?

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 22:30:22 UTC 2006

On 3/2/06, Dan Young <dan_young at mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:

> SITE is the prefix to run commands specific to a given FTP server's
> implementation, not to run arbitrary shell commands.
>
> Local users can SITE CHMOD to make files executable, but I'm not sure
> that they could actually execute them on their own w/o a shell, barring
> the use of SITE EXEC, which I don't think vsftpd supports (wu-ftpd does).
>
> FWIW, SITE can be disabled in vsftpd.conf.

So, if a user if jailed to their home then the worst security breach
FTP will allow is someone stealing another persons password. Deleting
or stealing files of another.

Okay what about FTPS (SSL FTP)?

Will SFTP (ssh ftp) work if you disable users shells (eg /bin/false) ?
I know SCP needs a shell.

--
Robert Arkiletian