[K12OSN] SMB and printing problems

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 23:27:02 UTC 2006

In fstab, are you specifying the filesystem type as
smbfs or as cifs?  I ran into problems on newer
versions of windows where I needed to use cifs in
order to see fileshares.

Hmm, I just realized that there's no place to specify
cifs for a printer...

But I think the problem could be related.  Newer
versions of Windows (or maybe it depends on the
settings) require you to authenticate as a user
*before* it lets you browse shares and printers.  If I
remember correctly, I had to enter my info like this
in Ubuntu's printer gui:

host:        MyWindowsDomain
printer:     user.password at server/PrinterName
username, password:    (I can't remember if I left
these blank or entered the proper information)

Hope this gives you some clues.

-Rob