[K12OSN] how to turn off nautilus under IceWM--SOLVED

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Mar 3 17:42:50 UTC 2006

The icewm-start script has this line:

nautilus &

which will call nautilus giving users desktop icons and opening their home directory
automatically when they login.  If you change it to

nautilus -n &

they still get desktop icons but their home folder won't automatically be opened when
they login.  This doesn't save on resources, only gets rid of the annoyance.  To save on
resources, you can turn off nautilus altogether:

# nautilus &

but then you lose the desktop icons.  OTOH, if you're using IceWM, you can put
everything they need down on the toolbar; having desktop icons or not seems trivial to
me, but we all we all have users who seem to get really worked up over it if they
disappear.  If you want a lightweight desktop with icons, have a look at rox-filer.
Unfortunately, I don't think it's in the default yum repositories.

With all that said, if you're system has been working fine, and just slowed down in
recent months, I'd agree that the problem is probably the apps, not the desktop
environment.  But perhaps switching environments will help.